TUTORIAL How to prevent spam on MyBB 1.8.x

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

10-04-2016, 07:55 PM #1
NomanProdhan Offline KING OF FFU FFU OWNER
GFX DESIGNER
VIP MEMBER
Posts:678 Threads:224 Joined:Sep 2014 Reputation: 108 Sex Male

[Image: 2rnIRTz.png]

MyBB is a free and open source, intuitive, extensible, and incredibly powerful forum software. Big Grin its my favorite forum software. MyBB is user-friendly and anybody can manage a MyBB community forum without having any coding knowledge.

Spam is the worst thing for any community forum. Its a common problem and we can't neglect this. I am using MyBB for more than three years. I have some good experience about MyBB. However, today I want to share some tips and tricks to prevent spamming on your MyBB forum. So lets start the journey... Big Grin Remember that, all the tips and tricks are tested with MyBB 1.8.x.

Add registrations security questions
We all know that most of the spammer use automation bot for making spammer. So if we will be able to prevent bot registration than we will not get spammy post. MyBB 1.8.x have Security Question option for preventing bot registration.
You can set some random security questions that a visitor may have to answer when registering in your community
. To set security questions log into your Admin panel and go to Configuration > Security Questions
When your visitor will try to register on your community they will get your security questions and they will have ability to "Refresh" and get a new questions. So you will need to set multiple hard questions. Don't set any easy questions like 2 + 2 = ? . Use hard questions.

Minimum Registration Time
Minimum registration time is another useful feature to prevent bot signups at your MyBB community. Automated systems want to instantly fill out the form and submit it to maximize their efficiency across the Internet, and so this feature will stop automated registrations that behave in that way. You can enable this features from your Admin panel. To enable this go to Admin CP > Configuration > Login and Registration Options

The default setting value is 15 seconds, which is often at least how long it takes for humans to fill out the registration form.

Hidden CAPTCHA
Hidden CAPTCHA is a text field which is hidden to normal visitors who have JavaScript enabled in their browser. But automated systems/bot will try to intelligently fill the field with something. If the field is filled, registration is denied. So its a good option to prevent bot sign ups. You can configure Hidden CAPTCHA from your Admin panel. For this go to Admin CP > Configuration > Login and Registration Options

CAPTCHA Images, reCAPTCHA
From Admin CP > Configuration > General Configuration you can set a visual CAPTCHA challenge. You an set MyBB Default CAPTCHA (don't use this), Google reCAPTCHA (Recommended) and NoCAPTCHA reCAPTCHA (Recommended).
I will suggest you to use Google's reCAPTCHA or NoCAPTCHA reCAPTCHA.

Stop Forum Spam
From Admin CP > Configuration > Stop Forum Spam, you can configure all user registration information to be checked against Stop Forum . You can also enable this option for preventing spam sign ups.

All the above options are perfect for preventing bot sign ups. But still human spammer can join your community and will post lots of spam links. We also have few options to prevent spam posting . So lets know about those options...

Most of the human spammer will try to post lots of links after registration. So, you will need to prevent them from posting. For this you can enable moderate new posts/threads option from your Admin panel and after enabling this option, all new post will be visible for only Mods or Admins and if they will approve the post/thread than they will be visible for others.
To enable this feature go to Admin CP > Users & Groups > Registered (user group) . Now click on Forum and Posts tab and check /enable Moderate new posts, Moderate new threads option. After that click save and you are done.

Do you have any other tips or tricks for preventing spam ? If you have than please share with us.

[Image: founder.png]

10-04-2016, 08:26 PM #2
johnthan Offline FFU STARTER FFU STARTER
Posts:126 Threads:40 Joined:Sep 2016 Reputation: 0 Sex Male

Yes, reCAPTCHA/NoCAPTCHA best to stop.
Security question not work all the time, program still able to register. It need to change the question regularly/weekly.

After settting reCAPTCHA I have not spam activity. Before it there were everyday posts on general forum.

10-05-2016, 03:56 AM #3
John Offline FFU NEWCOMER FFU NEWCOMER
I agree that some of the stuff here is useful and worth using in most cases.

11-18-2016, 01:10 AM #4
albatross Offline FFU NEWCOMER FFU NEWCOMER
Posts:25 Threads:1 Joined:Nov 2016 Reputation: 0 Sex Undisclosed
What about to use all the ways of stopping spam? Would it be more effective or not? Is it a problem to use them all?